- Helena wasn’t Batgirl, she was The Bat. Some may even say that she was Batman when Bruce was too busy moping in Paris.
- And she was The Bat because Gotham was NML’s and NML’s was, in short, complete chaos.
- Also because, again, Bruce was too busy moping in Paris or somewhere else in Europe idk and Gotham needed a Bat. And so Helena became The Bat.
- She wasn’t fired because she was violent (though that much about her was true back then). She was fired because she failed to live up to Bruce’s ridiculously high and impossible expectations that not single one of his favorites would have ever been able to live up to.
- Like, seriously, Bruce fired her because she couldn’t take on a hundred people on her own, and all of ‘em at the same time.
- Bruce may be Batman but not even the Batman can do that.
- And yet he expected Helena to. So he fired.
- Also he’s an asshole and he left her alone knowing she’d fail because he wanted her to fail. So he could have a “good” excuse to fire her. So not only did he shove the Batgirl title on her without her permission or Barbara’s, but he also manipulated her left and right throughout that arc.
- Did I mention that Bruce is an asshole because he is.
- Especially to Helena.
- Arrow’s Helena is not crazy. Not that I’m giving the show any kind of credit considering that their Helena is a bastardization of the character, but in the Arrow verse she is not. crazy. Violent? Yes. Willing to kill? Yes. Kind of out control? Yes. But then again, so is the main character in that show as well as the mc’s partner. So, no, if fandom isn’t calling them crazy, then Helena shouldn’t be called crazy.
- Also, fuck Arrow. And fuck the writers for the blatant misogyny and complete lack of consistency in those Helena episodes.
- Helena Wayne and Helena Bertinelli are not the same person. These are completely different women whose only similarities are their first name and their superhero name. And despite everyone’s confusion and similarity, not even their uniforms are the same. Moreover, condesing these women into one single character caters to the idea that DC’s trying to make everyone buy into that female characters are completely, one hundred interchangeable. And that’s not the case, at all. Acting like Bertinelli and Wayne are the same person is a complete and utter disregard of both of these women’s background, history and fandom. Frankly, it’s a little offensive, too, but I’m also super tired right now so I could be wrong!!!
- (I am not wrong.)
- In short: Helena B. and Helena W. are not the same person even if DC keeps trying to tell everyone otherwise. Also, they are both pretty great. Also, Helena Bertinelli was constantly treated like shit by writers, fandom (though Helena W. is currently receiving a v poor treatment by her current writer, too, bc lol paul levitz problems). Her character (Helena B’s!) was often disparaged and ignored and generally treated badly because she’s a girl who dared to defy Batman, and also dared to have sex with more than one person, including everyone’s favorite Boy Wonder Dick Grayson.
- so u know, super fun!!! to read about what an awful person Helena B was because she dared to have sex!!!
- it was also super fun seeing the two people who became her best friends, eventually, slut-shame her because, again, having sex with more than one person is bad!!!
- Comics/Misogyny otp
- (did you catch my sarcasm up there bc you were MEANT TO)
- ‘Huntress is poison.’ fu 2 chuck dixon.
- oh man this got way too long.
- anyways, no one deserves helena bertinelli.
- she’s too good for everyone.
- so is helena wayne.
- the end.
don’t delete artist comments, artist credits, blog sources, or save and repost images to your own blog, etc etc etc. just don’t, man.
I’m really tired of seeing my own work and ESPECIALLY the work of my friends stripped of credit. people are posting free content online for you to look at and enjoy, and if the thing they had to say about it or a link to them is too ugly for your dumb blog, don’t reblog it. I know this is the wild wild west of the internet, but try to respect creators.
I don’t know how you feel right now, but your neighborhood moderator is having a good Sunday.
Andiamo in Champions!
AC Milan is going to be in the Champions League next season!
I’m so happy I can’t even. Even Tumblr’s annoying as heck issues couldn’t put a damper on my mood.
Now that you’ve reached the end of this post, carry on and I hope you get to experience as much joy as I and my fellow Milanisti are feeling right now.